Updated December 15, 2017
Detachment Commander C. David Page has appointed me to Chair the NJ SAL Detachment Convention Committee for the 2017-18 administrative year. Needless to say, I am humbled by the appointment and look forward to another great opportunity to serve our Detachment membership in this capacity. By virtue of being Chairman of the Detachment Convention Committee, I also serve as the NJ SAL Liaison to The American Legion, Department of New Jersey's, Department Convention Committee, chaired by Dual Member Franklin R. Sickle, Jr.. I look forward to working with Chairman Sickle and the rest of the Department Convention Committee this year in hopes of making our 2018 Department and Detachment Conventions the best conventions to date!
The NJ SAL Detachment Convention Committee hold its first meeting of the 2017-18 year on Saturday, October 28, 2017, beginning at 10:00 AM, at American Legion Post 346 in Neptune, Monmouth County, NJ. Legionnaires and SAL members were welcome and encouraged to attend.
Those in attendance included:
Committee Chairman Jeffrey E. Hicks
Commander C. David Page
Carl W. Albern, Jr., PDC
Lenny E. Free, PDC
Topics discussed included:
- Need the backsides of county signs
- Request an SAL sign with arrow on an easel to indicate location of our convention room
- Request permission to hold a drawing to entice delegates to stay through the close of convention
- Agreed for 2018 to keep the same types and number of awards from 2017 Detachment convention
- Prevent interruptions during the installation of Detachment officers
- Request Housing forms so SAL can help Department boost its convention revenue
- Request better lighting and handrails on Detachment stage
- NJ SAL, PDC Neal Newlin recently passed away; consider dedicating convention in his memory
- Saturday, May 19, 2018 - Meeting at Post 346 to determine convention award honorees
- Miscellaneous items
- Next Detachment Committee meeting - Sunday, January 14th, Saturday, January 20th, or Sunday, January 28th, at Post 346 in Neptune, NJ. Date to be confirmed.
Department Convention Committee Meeting - Tuesday, November 28, 2017
Held at Post 458 in North Trenton, NJ, from 7:30 PM to 8:30 PM
Detachment Convention Chairman Hicks attended to represent the NJ SAL.
- Friday night reception (2018 only) moved back into the West Hall since Department Centennial Committee has secured a band (Beat-Tells). They will play two (2) twenty minute sets. The first set will be older Beatles tunes and the second set will be newer Beatle tunes.
- Miss New Jersey will attend the convention and speak on Thursday, June 7th. She will spend the rest of the day at the Centennial Committee table, answering questions and taking photos.
- National Commander of The American Legion will arrive on Thursday evening and speak on Convention floor Friday morning. She will attend the Friday reception, Saturday's parade, and depart Sunday morning.
- Crescent Shrine Mini-Car Unit will be in the parade.
- Looking into a large centennial banner to be placed at the front entrance of the convention center.
- A time capsule will be buried at Post 184 on Friday, June 8th.
- Gloucester City String Band will be playing and riding on a float in the parade.
- SAL items:
- A sign with "SAL" and an arrow can be handled by Wildwood personnel. If SAL emblem, then not sure.
- Chairman Sickle is aware of county signs needing fixing (backside).
- Request of SAL to have their own Convention Drawing - APPROVED
- SAL Housing Forms - Department Adjutant Baker to look into.
- Department fine with Detachment memorializing PDC Neal Newlin at Detachment Convention
- No comment on request for better lighting and handrails on Detachment stage
- Badges and ribbons need to be discussed with SAL.
- Next Department Convention Committee meetings:
- Tuesday, February 20, 2018, at Post 458 - North Trenton, at 7:30 PM (Chairman Hicks only)
- Tuesday, April 24, 2018, at Post 458 - North Trenton, at 7:30 PM (Chairman Hicks only)
- Wildwood meeting date:
For God & Country,
Jeffrey E. Hicks
Detachment Convention Committee
Sons of The American Legion
Detachment of New Jersey
h) (609) 388-4881
c) (609) 206-6583